Saturday, May 2, 2009

My Last Week of My Honduran Adventure

My last week in Honduras has been a pretty good one. Last Saturday I went to the property for the church service and it was sad when people found out that the next Saturday would be my last. Many people have told me not to go throughout the week which has made it hard saying goodbyes but I know my call is done here in Honduras. I helped with the kids class like I usually do and then played with the kids for a while. On Sunday I went to the property to watch and play soccer. Our team won 20-1 and made it into the playoffs as the last seed. Not to bad for a bunch of replacements. Unfortunately I won't be there this Sunday for the game. On Monday I took a day off from the boys schooling and decided to climb the mountain close to town that I have always wanted to. I left at 5:30 in the morning and spent all day in the mountains and the forest. It was a nice day to just get away and be with God. I ended up climbing 3 different mountains to their highest points and talking to God while overlooking Zambrano. On the way back home I stopped at Christian's house because I was really close. I walked down to a pulperia(7-11 type corner stores) and bought myself a gatorade and bought everyone in Christian's family something to drink. It was a nice visit but I was pooped from the mountains. On Tuesday I did the boys schooling during the day and packed just about everything that night so i wouldn't have to do it later in the week. Wednesday was a normal school day and then I went to Christian's house again to visit with their family. I ended up buying some Chinese food from a restaurant in town for dinner for the whole family because I told them I wanted to eat with my Honduran family. Thursday Ed and the boys went to another town nearby to work on a road with some other missionaries. I stayed home so I could help Val with the English class in the afternoon and play soccer with the men in the community for the last time. During the day I relaxed, read, and hung out with Patty. Yesterday I performed my tutor duties for the very last time with the boys and also cleaned out my room. There has been a pretty bad bug problem so yesterday we set off a bug bomb. While I was cleaning out the room I left the door slightly open so that I didn't have to keep using my key to open it. When Val eventually went in to set the bug bomb off she started screaming about a snake so me and the boys headed out to my room to see what all the fuss was about. When we looked in sure enough there was a 3 foot green snake climbing around my bathroom. I don't know what it is about my bathroom but all the creepiest animals love to be there. I went in bravely with a rake and a broom and tried to get the snake out but he wasn't having it. Eventually he climbed in the corner by my garbage can so I took the opportunity to trap him in it with a piece of plywood on top. We then brought it outside and AJ and Wes had machetes and an axe to kill it. I tipped the bucket over and videotaped. Both the boys missed at first and the snake started coming in my direction pretty fast. I was thankful when AJ's second or third swing of the machete actually hit it. It was a great adventure for one of my last days in Honduras. Friday afternoon Christian's whole family came to visit at the house and we spent the night playing and laughing. The kids of course were amazed with all the toys that are in an American's house and loved playing with anything and everything. Eventually Ed and I drove them all home. As you can tell I made it a point to spend a lot of time with this family during my last week. This is because I love them all so much and they have adopted me and loved me from before I could even speak to them. I am going to miss them very much and will make it a priority to see them someday when I come back to Honduras. Today I will head up to the property for the last time and say my final goodbyes. Tomorrow I will be flying out and be back in the states by nighttime. Hopefully I wont have any more airport adventures but I think I will be fine since I'm not flying American. I will post a final blog in a few days to let everyone know I got back safe. Thank you all once again for your constant support throughout the last 7 months or so. God bless you my friends, family, and supporters. Adios.

No comments: