Friday, April 3, 2009

Longest Day Ever!

Well I'm back here in Honduras getting back into the swing of things. Tuesday was a pretty awful day. I woke up at 4 am to get to the airport in Chicago for my 6 am flight. I am going to share every bad thing that happened to me during the day because it is comical to me how much went wrong. I decided to get Dunkin Doughnuts for breakfast after I got through security and checked my bags. I gave the cashier exact change and she dropped it behind the cashier. Being the nice guy that I am I reached to get the dime she dropped and cut my right where my nail attaches to the skin. I didn't notice until I was in the middle of eating and blood was all over the end of my finger. Not the end of the world though, I just went to the bathroom and washed up. We boarded the plane on time and as we sat ready to leave on the plane a lady complained about the metal part of her armchair that was sticking up a little. We delayed taking off so they could fix the seat. Twenty minutes later a guy comes on the plane with duck tape and fixes the arm of the chair. So we were off to a little late start. I had a little more than an hour between flights so I thought I would be fine. The plane ride was bumpy and the pressure inside the plane was nasty. All the little kids were crying and I felt like my eyeballs were going to pop out at one point. It was here that my day long headache began so keep in mind that through the rest of the day my head was pounding. We landed in Miami and pulled up to the gate but we weren't getting off. The captain informed us that there were problems with the gate and we would have to wait. Another twenty minutes later we were able to get off. I got off the plane the same time I was supposed to board the other plane. They announced some planes that had left already but not mine so I decided to sprint with my carry on and my laptop across the airport to see if I could make it. I got to the gate sweating to see them pulling the gate away from the plane. I told the attendant that I was on that flight and she responded, "Not anymore your not". In my mind I wanted to scream at her for her tude with me but I just asked her how I was going to get to Honduras. She told me I was put on a later flight with Taca Airlines. I then walked all the way across the airport and out of security to check in again with Taca. I was able to use the telephone of a Honduran while waiting in line to call Val and tell her I would be there at 3:30 which was the time the man told me. When I got to the counter I was told that I was not even in their system and that I wasn't scheduled to be on their flight. I sat and waited to talk to a supervisor who told me the same thing. All the while I was worrying where my checked bags were and if they would meet me in Honduras if I ever got there. So I walked all the way back to American's counters to see what in the world was going on.When I told a worker that I needed to talk to a supervisor to figure everything else she told me to just wait in line like everyone else. I was about ready to scream but I think it would have made my headache worse. I waited in another line for another 30 minutes or so and eventually talked to the attendant at the counter. She informed me that the other attendant who booked me on Taca never had it confirmed. Good thing I was outside security or I would have found that first attendant and unloaded on her. The new attendant called Taca and confirmed everything and worked it out for me. I found out that the plane was going to the other airport in Honduras first and then to Tegucigalpa so I wouldn't be in Teguz until 4:30. I asked the attendant if I could use the phone to call Val and let her know about the change of plans and she told me she needed to call a supervisor. She spotted one and yelled to him but he just walked away. She then tried to call one and got off the phone to tell me that I couldn't talk to a supervisor for another hour because they were changing shifts. Rather than waiting another hour I decided to just go back to Tacas counters and check in for real this time. I waited in another line and eventually got my tickets. I asked the Taca people if I could use the phone but they said I couldn't call long distance. I went through security and sat down and ate with a food voucher that I requested from American because of all my trouble. I then went to the gate and saw a few people that I had seen during all my running back and forth throughout the day. I asked around for a cell phone but nobody wanted me to call without a calling card. I went to the store close by to buy a calling card but they didn't have any. I then asked around for a calling card and found a guy who had one he was willing to sell to me for 2 dollars. I went back to the store to change out my 20 dollar bill because I didn't have anything smaller. The lady told me she couldn't open the drawer for an hour which didn't make sense to me so then I bought a two dollar pack of gum to get my change. I bought the calling card from one man and used another mans cell phone to call Val and let her know I would be in later. The flight went pretty well, I slept on and off the whole time. In San Pedro I had to get off and board another plane. Eventually we made it to Teguz at 5 which was six hours later than I was scheduled to arrive. Surprisingly my luggage also made it there which was one of the few things to go right. I was thankful for that and happy to be back. Val picked me up with Patty and we headed back to Zambrano. All in all I traveled from 3 am Honduran time til 6 pm when I arrived back home and I was pooped. I ate quick and went to bed early. Wednesday I did the boys school and then slept all day to get rid of the headache from the plane. Thursday we did school again and I helped Val with her English classes and played soccer. Our water situation is getting pretty bad, we are running very low and we aren't getting anymore in the cistern. This will be a problem because Dina and Lewie Frye are coming to visit for ten days and they arrive tomorrow. Please be praying that we get a lot of water soon and that god would work out the water problem. Thank you for everything. I hope my awful day of travel brought some people laughs. It wasn't fun while it was happening but it is funny to me to see how many things went wrong that day. God bless and adios.

1 comment:

Josie Willett said...

Oh Kenny I am so sorry for your plane troubles I hate that when that happens. One time my family and I were coming home from disney world in Fordia and we flew back southwest and I had to sit in the very front by myself with complete strangers and the rest of my family was in the back of the plane. So I was not very happy. But im glad your home now. I hope you enjoyed my letter and pictures i sat here one night and drew all kinds of things but I hope everything keeps going well for you talk to you soon or later! :]